In 1815, the first Library Company was formed in West Chester to collect books that were loaned from shelves placed in local businesses. In 1872, that effort was re-organized into the West Chester Public Library. With strong community support and land donated by Hannah Darlington, capital was raised for a permanent building to be used exclusively as a library. The outcome was a beautiful structure designed by T. Roney Williamson and constructed in 1888 at 415 North Church Street. Constructed of West Chester brick and Avondale stone, with stucco-work and copper accents on the tower, its Queen Anne architecture makes it one of West Chester’s most impressive public buildings. It contains five windows of Tiffany-style glass, three of them illustrating quotes by Bayard Taylor (1825- 1878), a Chester County native and noted poet, literary critic, translator and travel author.